One of my Christmas gifts from Nate in 2010 was a Fuji Mini Instax 7s. The camera is perfectly imperfect, with it's faded images and blown out colors. It's unpredictable nature makes the wait for the image to develop even more exciting.
As soon as I received the camera, I knew I wanted to make a mini-album full of Instax photos. I quickly decided that I wanted to document Nate and me throughout the 2011. I've seen similar projects of families snapping a photo each month or mothers with their children, like my friend Julie does (you can read about her project in the right sidebar of her blog).
So, each month throughout 2011, Nate and I took an Instax photograph of ourselves. While I haven't even begun to assemble the mini-album to hold the photos, I thought it would be fun to share a side-by-side comparison of the photos we took in 2011. They are displayed left to right, top to bottom, starting with January in the upper left.
I really enjoy seeing the images displayed like this. It's interesting to see our outfit choices, hair styles, background scenery and even who is stretching their arm to capture the shot. Usually, I held the camera while Nate pushed the shutter, hence the number of images where my face looks stretchy or strange.
Completely random things I noticed:
- I wore the same dress in both February and March. And, the dress in the June and August photos is a duplicate too. I guess you can tell what my favorite winter and summer dresses were!
- Nate wore the same tan t-shirt three times, which beats me. Clearly, we need to work on changing out our wardrobes a bit!
- You can tell when the summer heat began to get to me, while I was trying to grow my hair out for Molly's wedding (see July, August, September and October).
- In only two photos is my naturally curly hair actually curly. Once it looks good, the other is horrible!
- It's entertaining to examine Nate's ever changing facial hair from month to month. The months he has no goatee, he looks so young!
- Even though I don't necessarily love how I look in each photo, I love having an entire years worth of photos, capturing Nate and I together.
This was a really enjoyable project and, each month, I looked forward to snapping the next photo with Nate. Hopefully, if he's willing, it's a project we can continue through 2012. I think it will be fun to have these photos years from now and look back at how young we were and laugh at hairstyles and trends.
Do you have a tradition capturing certain photos/events on a monthly basis?