This past week, I found myself on a bit of a fabric frenzy. I completed four projects using fabric, one of which I will share today.
For those who know me (or have been reading my blog for a while) know that, while I love fabric, I really do not enjoying sewing. I have no patience for measuring. Or cutting patterns. Or ironing. Or pinning. Or really any of it for that matter. However, when it comes to hack-and-sew projects, I’m your girl!
The first thing I set out to do was create some curtain panels for our cat/guest bedroom. I found a lovely Balinese Floral Curtain panel at Urban Outfitters on the clearance rack for $20. It was just the type of print I had been looking for to finish off the room, which is decorated in a kitschy, vintage style mixed with a few modern pieces.
Unfortunately, there was only one panel and its 84"l X 52"w dimensions weren’t quite the right fit for my 50”l X 60”w window. Even with the panel rotated on its side, it was still short by a few inches.
But, it was a problem easily solved. Leaving the panel rotated on its side, I cut it in half to make two panels. I hemmed all of the raw edges, and then, added some turquoise corduroy to the top of the panel to create the pocket for the curtain rod to slide through. I really like the contrast that the turquoise adds. I just wish I had made the corduroy pocket a little bigger to add even more contrast. I’m considering adding turquoise ruffles to the bottom, but left it as is for now since the desk/hutch covers most of it.
Disclaimer: Please don't hold the poor photography against me! I don't have yellow walls, but I do have very poor lighting in this room. I was too lazy to pull out my studio lights to photograph it properly with the DSLR, so I used the Hipstamatic App on my iPhone instead.
I'm quite happy with the way they turned out and how the mesh with the rest of the room. Next up, a custom iPhone case. Check back to see a simple, but adorable case :)