I'm still in love with all the ruffle and floral shirts that are available everywhere this season. The dimension and texture is just too fun! After seeing a lot of cute DIY projects online, I had to try it for myself! My inspiration for this particular project was the t-shirt DIY I saw on Elizabeth Kartchner's blog.
Instead of using two identical shirts as she did for this project, I used a jersey-knit dress I had hanging in the closet that I no longer wore. It was a bit too bootylicious and boobalicous for my 30-something liking. There is too much bad 'licious going on in the world...I do NOT want to be part of the problem...ha! :)
I started by trying on the dress over pants and determining a nice length for a top (I love long tops so I made mine a bit long). When I determined an appropriate length, I marked it and then cut off extra length in the skirt. I then took the "leftover" fabric and ran it through my Sizzix to cut piles of cute little flowers in various sizes.
To attach the flowers, I bunched each one in the center and started to hand stitch them along the V of the shirt. I just kept adding flowers, trying it on, and filling in the bare/uneven spots until I had used up all the flowers (a dressform would be handy if you have one). I wish I had a few more flowers so I could have gone further up the neck. But, regardless, I'm still very happy with how it turned out!
The last, and most difficult step, was to hem the bottom. I've never sewn a hem in my life (like EVER) and really wasn't sure how. I researched a little, asked my mom, asked my friends and finally, after about a week, I worked up the courage to give it a try. It actually turned out better than I thought which is a plus! So, here it is, the ruffled and hemmed final product:
Here I am with a silly pose, sporting my "new" top (please don't mind the chalk drawings on the cement!):
And a close up of the flowers (I think Nate really enjoyed taking this shot...ha!):
If you try this for yourself, please be aware that the flowers will appear flat and fluttery prior to washing. But, as can be expected, they will curl up on themselves during washing. I ended up having to "fluff" the flowers while the shirt was damp and then allow it to air dry.
Overall, the project took about 2 hours, working on and off, with some breaks. I'm extremely happy with the end results and am even more happy to have a brand new shirt created from an old item in my closet that would have otherwise been destined for donation.
If you have any questions, please feel free to leave them in the comments! Thanks for stopping by :)